Recipe: Chocolate Chunk Coconut Macaroons
My experience with baking was limited to prepackaged mixes found in supermarket aisles. Isn't that sad? One of the goals I've set for myself this year is to go beyond that and try baking for real. Not Iron Chef-like, but learning the basics, and baking from scratch. Simple recipes with easy to find ingredients.
So on Sunday, I pulled out Martha Stewart's Cookies Cookbook and followed my first recipe.
Chocolate Chunk Coconut Macaroons
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart's Cookies & www.marthastewart.com
Makes about 18 cookies
You will need
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
2 large egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips, roughly chopped
pinch of salt
1. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees
2. Using hands, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl
3. Using a small ice cream scooper, scoop cookies onto tray and space about an inch apart. A spoon will work too.
4. Bake for about 14-15 minutes, or until slightly brown.
5. Cool on rack for 10 minutes before enjoying
As you can see from my photos, I had my cookies in the oven too long which made for a crunchy, slightly burnt and sticky cookie. I also found that the cookies were a bit too sweet for me. I probably would have reduced the amount of sugar to 2/4 cup and increased the amount of coconut to make up for it.